Wednesday 27 June 2012

The Land of Self Entitlement Beckons


Fashion is not something that exists in dresses only. Fashion is in the sky, in the street; fashion has to do with ideas, the way we live, what is happening. - Coco Chanel


The Land of Self Entitlement beckons

Dear reader,
Since this blog just reads as if someone has been interrogating me very thoroughly about my life and I go on a confession spree along with said interrogation, I feel no shame or shyness whatsoever in confessing to one more rather grievous fault of mine. I can sometimes behave like the love child of a gross philistine and an attention deficient individual.
Let me back up a little bit.
I have some explanation due here. This blog post will deal mostly with modern notions of beauty, taste and discernment. It all started with Carrie Bradshaw and her Prada.
I watched Sex and The City (the movie) in class nine. Since I had not seen the sitcom itself, I rapidly arrived at the conclusion that the SATC franchise was more about the clothes that the four friends were bedecked in and not as much about what happened when they disrobed (euphemistically speaking). I still remember the first dress Sarah Jessica Parker wears in the movie- it is a white one shoulder deal with golden detailing. Like any impressionable teenage girl, I felt awed, impressed and taken in by the extravagance of the clothing, the shoes and the millinery. They just looked so perfectly turned even when they were, say, cooking and I just looked down at what I was wearing- my father’s old T-shirt and a pair of shorts. My hair was in a messy knot, and while fashionistas around the world will swear by the sexiness of the “messy knot”, I am still of the opinion that it is wildly overrated. And then my heart set its aim on looking as perfect as those four girls did. I familiarized myself with fashion, haute couture. Watching The Devil Wears Prada was my rite of passage-I started there and will recommend it to anyone who wants a good footing on the latest fashion terms/labels/designers(and also to understand what the fashion industry is really about).I read blogs and websites I swore I‘d never read. I watched all those TLC shows about who wore what underwear, I mean gown, to which event and the works. Talking about Coco Chanel, lusting after Louboutins, loving Sabyasachi’s work and quoting Tim Gunn became second nature to me. I knew my Shu Uemura as more than just a tongue twister.
                Suffice to say, that yes, GR lost her head again (a bit) and craved a wardrobe full of luxury brands. She watched SATC 2 and she was certain she would give a limb to walk down Madison Avenue in her Jimmy Choo’s. Of course, this version of GR completely chose to overlook the fact that the only one who could tell that the shoes were Choo was herself because, you see, unlike the rather conspicuous red soles of Louboutins or the V’s of Versace, Choo, very humbly, only printed his name on the insole. (I would also be the only one to see the rather hefty price of said shoe printed on my credit card statement)
                I was not alone in this swamp. I had many other friends of mine who kept a close eye on the rather capricious fashion industry. One day tube dresses would be in, the next day they would be out. You would wake up and read X fashionista trash the dressing sense/styling of Y actor/celebutante because the latter had been found wearing a, oh I don’t know, leopard print. I once heard about this Delhi teenager, who was invited, (did you hear me? I.N.V.I.T.E.D.)  To the NY Fashion Week to “review” the couture on display. (If she is reading this, hats off to you ma’am) Consequently, I was jealous.
But my current disillusionment with all things fashion stemmed from a rather eye-opening, thought-provoking visit to the DLF Emporio. Initially, I was drooling a bit at the prospect of going to DLFE. (For purposes of simplicity)- I pulled up the “Stores by Brand” list on the website and was round eyed at the roster. Too many of my fantasies packed into two floors in a building. And the price, well, people did say a lot about the obscenely over priced commodities these stores sold; but they couldn’t be serious could they? Sure, it would be slightly costly but not exorbitantly so. Or so I hoped.
Entering the place had the equivalent effect of entering the Pearly Gates. I stared unabashedly and tried to keep my cool at the same time. Versace? Poof, no big deal. Dior? Tut tut. Tom Ford? Hmm, this guy has brains. (You get the drift.)
Which was when I entered the Salvatore Ferrogamo store.
Please allow me to take a moment and make noises only dolphins can hear. Because Ferrogamo? I dig this shit ok?
I will not go into many details about what we bought – I will just state that it was certainly not for me, but my dad. (He is the one who earns after all)The store itself had an ethereal, other-worldly quality about it- plush sofas where the elite clientele were waited upon by a horde of suits; beautifully hand crafted shoes resting elegantly on the glass panels, each looking more delicate than the next. Even sworn enemies of fashion would be ogling in that store. Me? I was a total goner. Which was when a Jap (I think he was a Jap; if he was not, I apologize to you, sir) picked up a garden variety satchel-the kinds you can get anywhere- and said “I want this.”Mind you, said Jap did not look anything like a potential customer- he wore loafers, a striped T shirt and corduroys. The bird of prey, I mean, the store attendant, leapt to his side and looked at the price tag. “That’ll be a 75, sir. Thousand. Seventy five thousand.” If I were him, I would have had a seizure, grabbed my wallet and my bank savings and ran the fuck out of the store. As is obvious, he did nothing of the sort. He coolly nodded to the proprietor and wandered off to check the shoe section out. I just sat there, surreptitiously checking the price tags of each shoe I picked up. I will swear on Ferrogamo’s sculpted heels (May he rest in peace) that there was nothing in the entire store that cost less than 20k.
On further observation of the customers, I noticed a trend. All the people brave enough to bet their wallets were either businessmen or bored housewives. If you heard the door to the store open and heard clack-clack-clack-clack or were assailed by the smell of expensive perfume, you could be dead sure that the patron was a housewife from the Land of Self Entitlement.
                Next store- Emporio Armani. AKA GR’s first heart attack.
                The store attendant looked like a model himself and he had a thinner waist than mine. While sire hunted for trousers, I wandered into the women’s section, noting the LBD’s, the weird see through hats, the printed T-shirts and one rather wacky dress (it carried the subtle tones of human vomit mixed with a mint ice cream green) (sorry if I violently disturbed your palates).And then I noticed a rather pretty pair of trousers which captured my imagination. Dutifully, I asked for and tried on my size. Although the style and cut of the trouser itself were unmatched, it had three rather big problems about it-a) the color was positively fecal. b) The material was so thin that I could punch a hole through it. c) It cost 22k.
Clearly, the said pair of trousers and I were not a match made in heaven. I kept them back on the rack, offering an excuse about them “not being my type” (when not one minute thirty seconds ago I had been salivating at them) and marched my bruised butt out of the store. Not my type at all.

                Third stop- Tom Ford.
                Declaration here- I LOVE Tom Ford. He is one designer who actually makes sense to me, his artistic vision speaks to me and I can actually appreciate his work every time. Not to mention, he made my favorite movie till date. So, he was a rather obvious choice for men’s tailoring but to my utter and endless bafflement-that outlet did not stock anything wearable whatsoever. All it had were a couple of fancy suits hanging, which I can bet you, will not look good even on someone like Clooney, let alone a couple of Indians with fat pockets. Pink suits, checked blue shirts (the type even college guys don’t wear) were on display.
All my inner fashionista said, or rather screamed was, “Are you kidding me? This is a downright DISGRACE to Tom Ford.”
So we left without further ado.
                As we ambled about in the big bad mall, I saw all the labels I had always wanted to see- Fendi, Louis Vuitton,Louboutin, Dior,Burberry, Zegna, Rohit Bal, Shantanu and Nikhil etc.And I was almost bowled over by the sheer amount of useless merchandise there was on display. Most of the shops dealt only in shoes and bags; everywhere you turned bags glared down at you haughtily or dainty footwear begged for redemption. (Important side note- I LOVE FOOTWEAR) If their numbers, designs, and quantities were anything to be believed, all the Richie Rich’s of Delhi should be strutting around naked with only a Fendi baguette and some Louboutin heels clothing their person.

As is my wont, that lengthy tale had a moral. Luxury brands are luxurious but somewhere they also cross the line and jump into the “conspicuous consumption” tag. While I would happily plonk down a month’s salary to buy myself a pair of branded shoes, I will not do so for general apparel per se. I also beg for mercy from the fashion gods above when I say this but luxury brands do not necessarily mean value for money. While Penelope Cruz might be able to casually throw in the phrases “Armani Prive”, “wearing my friends” in a red carpet interview, it is not likely that most of us can do the same. What is more, she is probably requested, even hounded, by the labels to wear their clothing and hence market said brands in an international arena- we are not. (At least, I hope, only as of now).
Or maybe DLF Emporio in India was not the best place for my initiation into the Big Spenders’/Nouveau Rich club. It was just a bit too gaudy for my tastes (I swear I went blind with bling when I entered the Louboutin store)
Some part of me still wants to own that dream wardrobe, but having seen other people dress much better at a much(much) lower cost dissuades me. I guess there is also the consideration of how well you carry yourself- an Armani can only go so far in making you look good. The rest is up to you. Or as Chanel, once again, said-“Elegance does not consist in putting on a new dress”.

No comments:

Post a Comment